Department: Manufacturing and Engineering
Supervisor: Manufacturing & Engineering Manager
Supervises: Molding Process Technicians, Mold Setters, Resin Handlers, Tool Repair Technicians – refer to company organizational chart approximately 15 personnel.
Company Overview: Founded in 1985, Blue Ridge Industries began as a custom injection molder and assembler of plastic parts in Winchester, Virginia. Over the years, BRI has developed and expanded its injection molding capabilities with presses ranging from 110 to 950 tons. With nearly 100,000 sq. ft. of manufacturing and warehouse space, other services have been added to meet the needs of customers across the country. BRI offers engineering services, automated assembly options, specialized decorating, rapid prototyping, warehousing, and end-user fulfillment.
Summary: The Molding Manager is responsible for leading the entire Molding Team across all shifts, including management of molding human and capital resources, ensuring quality products, establishing/maintaining internal organizational interfaces with Production/Quality/Engineering, and promoting a culture of technical excellence, safety, and continuous improvement. This position is ultimately responsible for mold setups and developing, optimizing, and controlling all injection molding processes. The Molding Manager manages company mold tool inventory utilizing best management practices such as 5S or Six Sigma and liaises with Engineering for tool repairs and modifications. The Molding Manager is responsible for establishing and enforcing molding department procedures and best practices with the goal of improving molding efficiency, creating quality products, and reducing manufacturing costs.
- Manage development, optimization, troubleshooting, and control of all injection molding processes inclusive of automation (robots/cobots/conveyors) and auxiliary manufacturing equipment (dryers, grinders, temperature controllers, etc.). (25%)
• Lead, define, and foster improvements of molding procedures and best practices. (25%)
• Establish and manage organizational structure, human resources, and capital resources. This includes team leader HR responsibilities, company policy enforcement, and training (and identifying/setting up training) for direct reports. (15%)
• Manage tool/tool parts inventory and coordinate repairs, modifications, and logistics with Engineering. (10%)
• Work closely with Production and Quality to ensure customer requirements of product are met. (10%)
• Work with Engineering and Production to implement continuous improvement activities and Research & Development (RD) studies. (10%)
• Perform other duties as assigned. (5%)
- Experience: Eight (8) years prior experience developing and troubleshooting injection molding process. Two (2) years prior supervisory experience. One (1) year ISO:9001 experience.
• Education: High school diploma or GED or higher required. Prefer Technical School Certification or BS degree in Polymers, Plastics Engineering, or other technical area. Scientific Molding Certification such as RJG Master Molder® I is highly desired.
• Communication: Excellent English verbal and written communication skills are required. Must be able to interpret documents such as safety procedures, engineering drawings, operating and maintenance manuals, and production procedures. Must be able to compile, analyze, and summarize raw data to create reports, presentations, and correspondence; speak effectively before groups of customers or employees. Must understand and promote Blue Ridge Industries’ Quality Policy. Must be able to perform basic and intermediate math skills. Spanish language skills are a plus.
• IT: Must be knowledgeable of various injection molding machine software interfaces (Sumitomo and Engel are preferred). Must be proficient in Microsoft Office. Experience with IQMS or another ERP system is a plus.
• Equipment: Must be familiar with injection molding machines (Sumitomo and Engel are preferred), dryers, grinders, robots (Sepro preferred), and temperature controllers.
• Environmental Conditions: Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time. Individual may be exposed to cold, hot and/or humid conditions on the manufacturing floor. Must adhere to safety regulations at all times.
• Physical Activity Requirements: Must be able to walk, talk, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, and use hands to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. Must be able to lift a minimum of 50lbs.
• Vision Requirements: Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Schedule: Monday to Friday, 8-hour shift. Occasional nights and weekends may be required.
Travel: Less than 10% travel required. Occasional travel to customer, supplier, training, and other local BRI sites is required.
Type of Employment: Full-time, salaried exempt. The number of hours per weeks will vary, but this position requires completion of requirements and management goals.
Salary and Benefits: Salary and vacation are commensurate with experience. BRI offers eight (8) paid company holidays. BRI makes medical, dental, vision, and other types of insurance available after ninety (90) days employment. BRI offers an HRA where 80% of employees’ medical insurance deductibles are reimbursed by the company. A 401(k) plan with company matching program is available after one (1) year employment. This position is eligible for company bonuses.
Contact Information: Please submit your cover letter and resume to HR@blueridgeind.com to apply by September 25, 2019.