MAPP members have access to post on the forum and must be logged in to post. Questions? Please contact info@mappinc.com.

Safety

DBWhirldge

Safety

Post by DBWhirldge » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:27 pm

Another safety issue,
If we understand the OSHA rules correctly, any time an employee is over 4 feet above ground they should be on a solid platform or in a harness so if they fall the fall is arrested before impact with the ground.
Question on larger machines 400 -500 tons and above if the ejectors must be attached to the machine ejector plate or core pull hoses must be connected or water lines on top of the mold, some molds require a long core pull cylinder to be mounted to the mold after it is hung in the machine.
How do you keep the employee safe when it is necessary to work on top of the machine?
Is an employee ever allowed on top of the machines for any reason?

Bruce Whirledge
CTB Inc.

jimeberle

Re: Safety

Post by jimeberle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:50 am

I don't exactly remember the solution, but there was a presentation at the 2018 Benchmarking Conference that addressed this. Maybe you can request that presentation from MAPP.

Good luck, Jim

normandforest

Re: Safety

Post by normandforest » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:54 am

Hi Bruce,
We have been looking for a solution to this for some time and there are many approaches:
Moving stairway with rails
Harness trolley supported by crane rails
Portable scissor-lift
Portable/stationary jib support arms
My favorite is to provide permanent staging for protecting the most frequent areas of risk.
Please feel free to call me for more detail if you like.
Best regards,

Norm