MAPP members have access to post on the forum and must be logged in to post. Questions? Please contact info@mappinc.com.

air quality

vitalplastics

air quality

Post by vitalplastics » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:51 pm

We process a few parts with Acetal and PVC. These materials are capable of producing irritant fumes. want to know how to test for these fumes to determine reasonable levels?

Murphmar5

Re: air quality

Post by Murphmar5 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:15 am

I would consult with your state Dept. of Environmental Mgt., in Indiana we have a consulting branch that will come out and test free of charge. They will basically give you some test badges for your personnel to wear during a "blow up" event and then test the badges to see if the air quality exceeds regulatory safety levels. We used to run a lot of Acetal and PVC so I know how important material changeover control is. Our personnel had easy access to certified gas masks if needed and our plant is fitted with multiple high volume exhaust fans that can replace the air in the building within 3 minutes if needed.

dwray7252

Post by dwray7252 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:44 am

We have tested our air with Chromair badges, a Thermo-Hygrometer from Extech #FM200, and a Drager Gas Detection Pump. We have just started our testing last month and haven't had an Acetal "plume" since we got the devices. We also have formaldehyde filtering full face masks for all employees that may have to deal with the "plume".

I have looked into some portable air cleaning machines, but have not been able to find any the are effective so far.

legacy2007

Post by legacy2007 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:11 pm

Please share information on the Formaldehyde filtering face mask.

DeanLail

Post by DeanLail » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:12 am

You must test to establish a baseline, but if you pass that test you do not need to test on a regular basis unless something changes. We have a written safety procedure for Acetel and PVC if you are interested I can email it to you. We obtained test badges from Advanced Chemical Services 561-338-3116 and/or EMSL 888-958-8170.